[RC] BC Chuckle & lesson learned - April

At a ride this past season, I had my first opportunity to show for BC. I'd had saddle fit troubles during the ride and wasn't planning to, but I was talked into it.

I had no idea what to do for BC (and that was ok). I never came in early enough on my LD rides to qualify for BC. I was always tail-end on my 50s, so everybody had already stood for BC by the time I came straggling in. I was tail-end on this ride, too. Easier to top 10 on a 50 with less than 10 starters ;-).

Anyway, I go clean my horse up from the sweat and the gunk and return to show for BC. "You know what to do, right?" Haha, I think the vet was having a bit of fun at my expense! Anyway, so he points out toward the trot lane and says: "Trot way out, make a big circle in each direction and come back." Ok. So off we go. WAY out. Circle both directions and go back. They were laughing at me when I got back. "Well, that's one way to make sure we can't see any mis-steps!" Apparently, I had gone way farther than the vet had intended. Hehehe.

I came in second at that ride. Second of 3 finishers. And second BC. With 12 minutes to spare on the clock before being overtime. Sometimes all it takes to stand for BC is to finish.

On the lessons learned note...when I went up to the ride awards, I found a lot of people there. Almost all the LD riders (15-20?) had stayed and we had a decent turnout for the awards. I really appreciated that as they had to wait for their awards until I dragged myself into camp and then waited while I showed for BC (I didn't have a prayer, the first place rider had hours on me; and pounds). This was the second day of a multiple day ride and I didn't really expect any turnout for the awards. I know it wasn't for ME, but it felt good. As a result, I'm now reluctant to leave a ride before awards.

My apologies to LBL Express personnel and riders for leaving 2 years in a row before the awards. I won't do that again unless I absolutely have to.

April
Nashville, TN