[RC] LD/BC award - KKMoonshadowrnch

In a message dated 12/1/2005 5:09:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Well, let's see now.  How about walking their horses around from time  to
time to make sure they don't stiffen up.  That is something we generally  don't
worry about before the ride starts.  Cooling off slowly during the  hour hold -
again so they don't stiffen up.  Don't have to worry about that  before a
ride.  Make sure they are eating and drinking well.  Putting  a little more
attention to that detail after the ride than before is usually the  norm.  Icing
the legs is another one I see regularly.  Sure don't do  that before the vet
check before the ride.  I'm sure their are more.   Anymore smarta$$ questions?

    Yea, I have one more smart A** comment.  All these things you are talking about have not one iota to do with showing for BC!  This is what everyone should be doing for their horses after the ride!  OMG!  If this is what you think people need should learn in LD and that having a BC award will teach them this, then you are entirely correct.  (I agree also anyway.) I don't feel having a BC award encourages racing, but rather encourages people who have that competitive spirit to keep their hormones in check and think about their horse more.

    That is why I love and miss CTR here in the PNW.  I do have that competitive spirit a little bit, and I enjoy trying to finish a ride with a horse that looks "better than all the rest!"  But, unfortunately, we have no CTR here and so I must get my kicks out of riding endurance (which I really don't mind, honest)  But really my heart aches to ride a good CTR again.  Well, I'm hoping to make some of the Canadian CTR's next year and maybe a trip or 2 to a CA NATRC CTR.    So maybe next year, I won't have this emptiness inside so much.
    and since I'm jumping in here, I do want to say that I really enjoyed the CTR article in endurance News a couple months back regarding FEI competitors.  It was really cool!  Later,

Kathy & Nick
Moonshadow Ranch
McKenna, WA