Re: [RC] Starting Juniors - Chrystal

Hi :-) I started 25 mileage rides  with my 10 yr old and this yr ( she is now 11) did 50's, mostly I commandeered her father to pit crew for her, but when I have to do it w/out him we make sure all the day's food ( horses and human) is made and very accessible, the beet pulp/grain etc...are in covered tupperware boxes, I just pop the lid off at the vet check and throw it back on for the next time. Get the lightest saddle possible so maybe she can tack up  herself!! :-) ( I HATE tacking up two horses. :-)) And mostly what I learned was that we probably were not going to win any awards,everything just takes longer with an 11 yr old- however we started the summer not getting along too well and ended the season knowing each other better and with a lot of great memories!!:-) I wouldn't trade those for any award.
Saying all that - I also appreciated the few rides I did solo as I could just think about myself, the whole wknd was just about ME and my horse. :-) :-)
Also you could try posting on RC or to the ride manager of any rides you are going to and see if there is anyone who wants to volunteer to pitcrew for your 11 yr old, there always seems to be lots of people willing to help if they are asked. And on that note, in our club at least --pit crews are kinda public property- if they are standing around the water buckets/vet check and "their" riders are not in get them to help you! :-) And if anyone EVER offers assistance say YES!!:-)

Good luck- getting to ride with our kids is one of things I love best about this sport.
Chrystal  ( mother of Emily ,11, who has emphatically put her foot down with a big NO to doing a 100 with me next year..... :-(  ))