[RC] Ghost Horses - Bruce Weary

Okay, Peggy. I guess I'm not done with the LD thing yet. I have, until now, let slide the comments about "ghost horses", which insinuates that there are no horses really being overridden in LD rides. T'aint so. In over 22 years and 7000 miles I have personally witnessed many overridden horses in LD rides, as well as the other distances. A common scenario that I have experienced many times is to be passed by fast-moving LD riders on the same trail I'm riding on the 50 miler, with a 30-60 minute lead, and well before the first vet check. The horses are often drenched in sweat, and the riders often travel in groups , not wanting to let each other out of their sight. This is a common sight, not a rarity, in my experience.
At the Californios ride last year, a couple of real cowboys entered the LD ride and they galloped much of the ride, passed us near the finish at a blistering pace, and at the finish line one of the horses promptly slammed himself to the ground, harder than I have ever witnessed a horse go down in my not so limited career. Dr Fred Beason then ordered the saddle be removed while the horse was down and proceeded to save that horse's life. Call Fred and ask him about that experience. I'm sure he'll recall it.
Dave Nicholson, who has 14 Tevis buckles, is in the AERC Hall of Fame, and is probably the most prolific ride manager in the country in terms of the number of rides he puts on, refuses to put on LD rides. I have heard him say on more than one occasion that it is much easier to kill a horse on a 25 than a 50. And that's why he won't put one on.
Finally, AERC currently has 8 protests posted on their website. Two of the protests assert cruelty to horses due to the speed they were being ridden in LD rides. They were both upheld.
Now, I'm the first to admit that by far the riders in LD's are knowledgable responsible horsepeople. And that things usually go well for most horses. But to assert that things CAN'T go wrong because things AREN'T going wrong in LD's is not representative of reality. Let's make sure we have a clear view of the facts as we form our opinions regarding LD/BC or any other policy that affects our sport, and our horses, for that matter. Respectfully, Bruce Weary