[RC] LD/BC - Bruce Weary

I think I have nearly exhausted my thoughts about the LD/BC issue, so I'll close for now by clarifying as succinctly as possible my suggestions for making a compromise. To those of you who feel that the existence of the LD/BC award (and specifically the speed factor necessary to be eligible, which in my opinion isn't negated by a few more minutes of recovery time at the finish line) doesn't promote racing or encourage riders to travel faster than a more casual 6-8 mph pace, then humor me. Let's standardize and continue the BC award and all its benefits to the rider and horse, but eliminate the speed factor as part of it's calculation. If it really has no effect whatsoever on rider speed, then no one riding LD's will either feel compelled to ride faster than a casual pace, nor miss the speed itself. Fair enough? You can't have it both ways. It's not logical to insist that it has no effect on the rider's speed, but be unwilling to relinquish it as a BC factor.
My hallucination is that current proponents of the BC system as it stands have no desire for a more level playing field against more conservative riders who might be carrying more weight, and with speed or placing eliminated, would give them a run for their money. I'll grant you, it creates a new problem of how to fairly evaluate a significantly larger number of candidates, but hey, Heidi has said she can still spot the winners, no matter how large the group. I never said I have all the answers.I would appreciate it if none of you repeat that to my wife, however. I almost have her convinced that I do. Bruce Weary