[RC] LD's - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Howard Bramhall howard9732@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

One of the things that has always bothered me when it comes to LD's, true
endurance and their inevitable comparison to human marathons is that some folks
seem to forget who is doing all of the work here.  In a human marathon, it's
the human running those miles; this is the sport where we can give ourselves
all the credit for the distance we traveled.  In the LD or in endurance, it's
the horse who deserves this acknowledgement.  THE HORSE!

The problem lies with the notion that the horse could really care less what
label (endurance, LD, 12 miler, pasture potato)is put on them.  They just don't
give a crap.  To the horse it matters not.  But, for some quirky, egotistical
reason, it matters a great deal to us.  To the point where we, the human, need
to get the credit for what our horse has done. When we say "my horse is a true
endurance horse" are we saying that for the horse's benefit or for ours?  This
credit that we're really giving ourselves is more than we deserve, for, is it
not the horse that carries us to complete (or not) the distance we choose to
make them do?  The only credit we deserve is to say "I made my horse go
25/50/100 miles today."  That's what really happened.  The human didn't
walk/trot/canter all those miles so why does the human care this much about how
far their horse went?

It's all about the horse.  The horse is all that matters.  And, since, the
horse doesn't care at all what label we put on them (endurance/LD), why on
earth do we care as much as we do?  If anyone can ever logically answer that
question then, maybe, the LD/endurance debate might finally come to some sort
of closure.  Looking at it from the horse's point of view, none of this
nonsense matters whatsoever.  In fact, I'd go so far to say, that if the horse
ever did have a choice in the first place, they'd choose the shortest distance
possible, the longest hold times, and the best alfalfa money could buy. Throw
in some peanut oil with their sweet feed and they might even be able to answer
the fat debate.

cya,
Howard