Re: [RC] 25/30 & BC - merryben

Do what the pros do and my juniors.  After every training ride, do a trot out, trot back and circles.  Most riders (and that includes LD up to 100's) don't have the faintest idea of how to show their horses for BC.  It takes practice after every training ride.....mb

-----Original Message-----
From: KYielding@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:49:11 EST
Subject: [RC] 25/30 & BC

If some rides do not use AERC endurance rules for 25/30 BC, where are these riders to learn how to show for BC?  Certainly they will be moving up to endurance, but they won't have had any experience preparing their horse to show for BC.  Well, they're riding a shorter distance so they can go watch the endurance riders prep their horses for BC, you say.  Nothing teaches like doing it yourself for your own horse.  Let's just set a standard and use it across the board for all distances.

Someone said back in the 80s the 25/30 rides were called novice rides.  Well, back in the early 70s these rides were endurance rides.  The results are in Saddle Action magazine from that era.  Now they are LD.  I do not understand why people are worried about an over ridden horse showing for BC in 25/30 mile rides.  The very name "Best Condition" should imply finishing a ride with a horse in the best condition possible.  Anything other than that and the horse is not in best condition - or even fit to continue.  The vets and/or managers can scald the hide off the rider of all horses over ridden in all distances.

I have seen horses over ridden in a 25.  They were (3 of them) pulled as lame at the end of the ride.  The same person's horses just barely finished a 50 this year.  Did the same thing in the 50 as the 25.  This group are not AERC members nor are they PNER members.  Their specialty is racing.  Period.  I doubt they will ever show for BC.

I ride an Endurance horse but so far I am a 25/30 mile rider.  My mare has finished at least 2 50s.  The last one was this year with my neighbor riding her.  She came in 6th I think and we did show for BC but being the novices in that area that we were we had no idea how to prepare for BC.  We did it anyway because that's how you learn but I do believe all rides should allow the top 10 finishers in all distances to show for BC.  They sure do here in the Northwest.

Kathleen