[RC] LD BC - Not just the RM's decision - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: West Ride Manager ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just wanted to point out as a West Region RM, often how we decided to judge
or award a "Condition" or "Excellence" award is not fully up to the Ride
Manager, but rather our Head Vet.  We have several vets that refuse to judge LD
BC with scores based upon time, which I FULLY AGREE WITH.  One of our more
popular vets does a Horse of Excellence award, usually selected from the top 10
but not always, that is based solely on vet scores.  I was fortunate enough to
win this once when I first started competing and it meant a LOT to me, even
though it was not an official BC.  I might not have won the award if it HAD
been based on time and weight, but rather was rewarded for the training and
conditioning I had done on my horse.  I think I finished 6th on that ride, out
of 11 LD riders!  =P

As a RM, if I tried to force my vet to judge LD BC on the standardized AERC
forms from the Top 10 and counting time, a method they do not agree with, I run
the risk of losing my vet for future rides.

If you have a complaint, find a time when the vets are not busy and ask them
their opinions on why THEY choose not to do it that way.  You may be very
enlightened.