RE: [RC] LD, BC & AERC Name Change - Rae Callaway

Read that sentence you quoted again.  Where in there did I say that 25’s were ENDURANCE?  Nowhere have I advocated that LDs should be classified as endurance.  As for changing the LD system – I’m in the Central region.  It’s working just fine.  It’s the West and PS region people that are apparently put upon because they are the ones who face the belittling attitude of elitist old folks.  They want what we in the rest of the country get with our LD.  Respect.

Rae

Tall C Arabians - Central

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DVeritas@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:39 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] LD, BC & AERC Name Change

Rae wrote:

"...50's & 100's are no longer the be all and end all of distance riding."

I'm thinking that the American ENDURANCE Ride Conference is a fine name.

The AERC is not Competitive Trail Riding.

It was founded as an "endurance" riding organization.

When folks say they are endurance riders, who have endurance horses, and they ACTUALLY ride endurance, I think it is a wonderful thing.

In my estimation, in the horse world, it is something which cannot be equaled in any fashion, other than in the actual doing.

There are opportunities for many to ride horses on trails as fast and as long as they wish even without being "endurance riders".  So, why do some join an Endurance organization if "endurance" is not something which they wish to do?

As for Limited Distance Rides, they are what they were before the latest bunch of limited distance riders ever showed up and rode them, and THEN, started wanting to change them.  I'd say, join the AERC, let your Limited Distance Committee folks know how you feel and, if nothing changes regarding LD's, decide what it is you want to do and where you want to do it.  Competitive Trail Riding offers GREAT opportunities for riding shorter distances and getting judged as great horsemen and women and getting all kinds of awards.  And, if one chooses to pursue LD as members of the AERC, GREAT, that's wonderful.  The AERC loves your participation, I'm sure.  Get your miles and feel good about yourselves.  Get your awards and feel good about yourselves.  Why would anyone want to participate in LD if there weren't beau coup awards available?  If recognition is a predicate for success in Limited Distance riding, I guess finishing in the Top Ten and getting your horse evaluated for BC might just be important...if recognition is the "be all and end all" it is being made out to be.

Frank