[RC] Racing - Bruce Weary DC

   I would have to disagree with you, Jeanne, on your statement that the LD/BC award doesn't promote racing ( which I understand as traveling faster than all but as many as ten other horses in the ride in order to be considered. Some rides could have of up to 75 horses or more). The fact that a pulse criteria must be met at the finish line is just another safeguard that has been put in place to help ensure the horses reaching the finishing line first (another good definition of racing) aren't egregiously overworked and in metabolic danger. Why is there virtually no protest over that particular rule, if there is no racing going on? As long as a rider is trying to get to the finish line fast enough to be included as a candidate for BC, thereby excluding all the slower, nonracing horses, there is racing going on. Fine for riders and horses that are truly prepared to do so. A potential quagmire for those who aren't.     Bruce Weary