Re: [RC] cashel soft saddle - Ridecamp Guest - Chris Paus

Cashel makes a good product and I use a lot of their wares. But my Littlejoe bareback saddle is actually more secure on a horse than a "real" saddle as far as rolling or slipping and is just like riding in an English saddle, well, an English saddle made like a pillow!

chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Ron Shaffer ron.shaffer@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I bought a couple of them to use when we took our horses camping
at Montona de Oro, CA (beach riding). I didn?t want to get salt
water on our good saddles and they worked very well. I used
neoprene breast collars with ours just as a precaution since
none of our horses had been in the ocean before and didn?t know
how they would take to it at first but to my surprise after
getting over the noise from the surf they seemed to enjoy
playing in the water. After riding in the surf we just hosed
them off like advertised. The longest ride we took was about 2
and half hours. The saddles are not as secure as a traditional
saddle but they are more secure than just a bareback pad.

My daughter liked the saddles so much she used one during some
group lessons she was taking. Her instructor saw it and asked
if she could try it on one of her horses that was having wither
rubbing problems with the saddles she has. She actually liked
it so much she asked to keep the one I loaned her and bought me
a new one to replace it. At first I thought it might have
broken down and she didn?t want to tell me but I see her riding
in it all the time so it looks like they hold up pretty well.

One last note, about 2 months after receiving the soft saddles
we got a package from Cashel with two small files (for the two
saddles we bought) and an explanation that some of the D rings
used in the saddles had burrs that could cut into the webbing
used for both the stirrups and cinch. The instructions showed
were the burrs might be and the files were for removing them.
Of the two saddles we bought one had burrs and one didn?t. The
new saddle that I got from the instructor to replace the one I
loaned her has different D rings altogether so this should not
be an issue now but if anyone has bought these saddles say about
4 to 6 months ago or longer you might want to make sure you
don?t have this problem.