RE: [RC] [RC] Midwest horse feeding and riding buddies - heidi

Nope, alfalfa does produce more core body heat---not because of calories
(the caloric content of alfalfa isn't all that much higher than good grass
hay), but because of the high protein.

When protein is digested, the enzymes snip off the nitrogen end of the
molecule and carries off whatever amino acids are needed for tissue repair
at that time.  Any proteins in excess are utilized for energy, which is
useful (about 15% of energy production is via protein metabolism of one sort
or another), but not particularly efficient.  Some of the energy content in
protein goes towards actual work production, but a large percent is 'wasted'
in the form of metabolic heat---which can either be utilized to maintain
body temperature, or must be removed through sweat production and so on.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but a few pounds of 'average' alfalfa
raises the core temperature of horses by about a degree or so for maybe 4
hours.  Useful in cold climates, especially where the horse hasn't yet
acclimatized to a change in venue (ie, San Diego to Omaha).

Susan, I'm glad you weighed in on this.  I'd been too busy and had let
the whole topic slide.  Indeed, there is energy released in the form of
heat when protein is digested.  There is energy in the chemical bonds
that hold molecules together, and when those enzymes do that snipping,
that energy is released as heat.  I don't know if this is current
nomenclature, but when I was in school, that was called the "heat of
digestion."

Here in the "Frozen Nawth" where the alfalfa isn't that hot dairy stuff
you see in your neck of the woods, we've already made the switch to
alfalfa for our still-lactating mares, our younguns, and our
geriatrics.  Our broodmares are already onto mostly alfalfa as well,
for the winter.  We haven't seen 30 degrees in three weeks, and have
had several nights well down into single digits.  When we get subzero,
the geldings and the prime-of-life stallions will get a few wedges of
alfalfa at night, too.

This time of year, I have grass round bales AND alfalfa round bales in
with the broodmares--you can almost tell what the temperature was last
night by how much of each they have eaten... <g>

Heidi