Re: [RC] spooking - Stacy Sadar

It doesn't get better with age either...My arab will be 19 and he still spooks, jumps, spins, etc!
I've had him for 11 years and I'm just used to it.  Knock on wood...haven't fallen off in 7+ years.  Personally, I think he made me a better balanced rider.  Now, I can actually feel the spook coming...just a slight muscle change or even a lift of the head or something.  I just know it's going to happen.  It freaks all my riding buddies out and THEY get the adrenalin rush when we are cantering along and we get a jump 6 feet to the left then back 6 feet to the right and keep on moving forward.  I just learned to ride right through it and ignore it.  The interesting part is that he only does this when out for a pleasure ride or by himself.  If there is any type of competition involved, he knows he's there to do a job and he's all business.   I know now that a good, deep-voiced "HEY" when I feel a change will stop the spook, but that only took 50 or so dumps to realize it. LOL   My conclusion...he's just screwing with me and will do the same with anyone else who rides him!  He has to make sure you know that he can dump you if he so chooses, so you better be ready.  I've always loved a good challenge and he's a joy to ride!

Stacy

Mom Alexander <thunderhart43@xxxxxxx> wrote:
My 11 year old QH/Trak. gelding still likes to spook "for fun"   I've been riding him since he was 2 mostly in Dressage, but some combined training also,  and if I let him "get bored"  he will find something to spook at.  But I love his personality, he actually HAS a personality and I'll take the occasional spooking.  He's a very confident horse, loves to lead on the trail, spook, snort and pretend to buck (baby buck).
                                                         Vicki & Beamer