[RC] Acl Surgery- why - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Wendy Mickels ken4ak@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I tore My acl and Mcl in a riding accident 6 yrs ago.(34yrs) The healing of the
mcl and supporting structures was uneventful and I did quite well with it for 5
yrs. Then I got on a water trampoline 1 jump later and it was all over. It felt
like I had torn it again. The surgeon said I had to wait for surgery for the
swelling to subside. Because I had loosened all the supporting structures again
it will not tighten as easily
even with physical therapy that I tried. I have opted for a
cadaver transplant. Several times in the last year I have had moments of
popover that are horrible. One time was while
trying to mount a fresh fractious gelding for a trainig ride.
Right leg is the one torn left was in the stirrup. I was not
about to give up on the mount so I hopped along till he
stopped spinning. Bad idea. Pop over and I was down for
the count. ( bad words) I did get up and ride 18 miles
un medicated but the reality for me is that I can never
bail out if needed. no jumping off, So it is hard for me to
train a new filly I have raised and any other horse. They sense I am holdng
back. I had postponed surgery this fall but intend
to have it this winter. Dr said cadaver would mean no driving
for 10 days. Physical therapy starting day 3, same day out surgery for post op.
no riding for3-4 months then I should be
good to go. I think he made it sound simpler that it is
but degenerating knees are a lot worse. For those suffering
through use cosequin ds to maintain some joint health,
watch your weight. and good luck. P.s. Did I mention my son was 5 months old
when I had the first injury and I used the nursing bra to stabalize my knee so
I could get home? ( horse left me) It was 3 miles.  1.5 to the nearest
neighboor., down hill, through the woods, at 7 at night in October? an injury
like this gives you as a parent a horse Vs. life reality check.