Re: [RC] Flagstaff Arab needs retirement - DArcy Moser

Dawn,

You have made some excellent observations and recommendations.  Fay, you may want to contact Equissage http://www.equissage.com/ to find a certified Equissage Therapist in your area.  I have found them to be highly qualified and far less expensive than a Chiropractic.  There are often times a certified practicioner will work with chiropracters.

I also want to caution you about 'placing' him anywhere prior to a full diagnostic evaluation.  I would be concerned what could happen when someone needs to handle him to be wormed, given his annual shots, and hooves trimmed.  You may be passing this problem onto an unsuspecting public.  That, in turn, could lead to a liability issue for someone down the road.  Further, if it is determined this is not a fixable situation,  it is not fair for this horse to continue to suffer regardless of who, what, when or why!  That is our responsibility, as owners, breeders, and handlers, to always act in the best interest of the horse.  Does that mean having to make difficult decisions...yes it does!  Unfortunately it does come with the territory.

Best of luck with this situation.

RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx wrote:
Fay,
It just doesn't add up for him to suddenly develop aggression or fear-based responses toward humans as a result of being attacked by a *horse.*  I'd expect him to behave pretty normal toward people, but perhaps have problems/fear issues with other horses.  Having said that, it sounds like he has some lingering pain issues.  The first thing that comes to my mind is some sort of chiropractic problem that, when he moves a certain way, pinches a nerve and produces extreme pain, and he may be thinking that it's coming from whoever (people) are there and he then reacts violently.  You said he'll be fine, then suddenly explode.  If you can locate a good equine chiro, it sure would be worth getting him checked out before giving up on him.
Another possibility, I guess, is some sort of brain injury - did the other horse kick him in the head at all?

Just some thoughts...
Best of luck,
Dawn in East Texas

D'Arcy Lynne

"What is behind us and what is before us is insignificant compared to what is within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson