Re: [RC] ACL surgery - patricia

Title: Re: [RC]   ACL surgery
I don’t know where you live, but in Northern California there is an orthopedic surgeon named Warren King that is a magician.  He reconstructed my ACL arthroscopically 10 years ago, and it has been like a “bionic” knee ever since.  I was skiing again  6 months after the surgery.   I didn’t ride then, but I can verify that you wouldn’t be able to seriously ride for 6 months and the rehab/physical therapy is CRITICAL to your ability to completely recover.  It’s worth it with the right doc.

Good luck with it...

Best Regards,

Patricia

Dean A. Conti wrote:

> Two and a half 50 mile rides ago I re-injured my knee that I initially
> hurt 2 years ago while skiing. I went to the doc THIS time and I am
> now scheduled for arthroscopic ACL surgery on Dec 6^th . The main
> problem is the doc thinks I need to stay off horses for 6 MONTHS! ACK!
> We’re using cadaver replacement tissue to minimize the impact so this
> layoff seems too cautious. Are there any opinions, anecdotal or
> personal stories or spare knees out there?
>
> Dean (who can’t find the darn warrenty card)

If you are using cadaver tissue - it's probably because you waited two
years to go to the MD and it's now serious. I have a friend that was in
the same boat as you several years ago - and he was off for six months.
He was in rehab for that six months. It takes a long time for cadaver
tissue to meld in with your own.

Six months is not a life sentence and if it means you can ride a horse
without pain afterwards - its worth it.

Oh, what happened to my friend after the surgery and the rehab, he was
4th in the OD, and won the Old Domonian Trophy. I crewed him that ride
and he had a smile at every vet check. Be patient - it is worth it.

Truman

--

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)