Re: [RC] Impressive records - matt medeiros

The footing, terrain, and technical aspect of these wec rides have changed.I could put on a 7 hr. 100 mile ride right here next week.I could also give you one of the same distance that was won in 15 + hours. How are these 7 hr. winning horses holding up?

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
matt medeiros wrote:
Sir, I am sorry, but could you answer that question?Tevis has a winning time of what?Has anyone done it faster since then? Even with less hold time?Yes the trail has changed, but for an easier route for better completion.Has that happened yet?You seem to have all the answers so could you please tell me?
The times I was referring to was for the WEC not the Tevis. The times for the WEC when Rio won them were in the 10 to 12 hour range. The times today are in the 7 to 8 hour range. The courses when Rio won them, for example Sweden were not much harder than those today.

The ride times in the WEC have steadily gone down over the past few years where I don't think any horse could hold up to wining multiple.

The time for the Tevis is basically irrelevant - it's a different type course and a different ride.

Truman

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
matt medeiros wrote:
the trails were a lot more difficult ie. Old Dominion. Just so you Know.
The trail in Sweden wasn't. The course in Kansas in '96 was won in 9+ hours and it was flat. Bottom line they are running them a lot faster today. The question really is could Rio run 7 hours on a regular diet and held up - could any horse?

Truman

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I doubt there is any disagreement. I've heard Stagg Newman call Rio an
alien - probably true.

This however brings up an interesting question to ponder. When Rio was
running - he was winning world championships in 9 to 10 hours. Today
they are running them in the 7 to 8 hour window.

My question is would have Rio been able to run these speeds and if he
did would he been blown out? Of course we will never know - and of
course there is a deeper question here to ponder.

Truman

--

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)