[RC] Huge Variables in Distance Riding, whatever the distance - Mary Ann Spencer

IMHO:
The fitness of the horse matters the most, then the comfort and fitness of the rider.  Most horses who run in a pasture group can probably do a slow 25 without much preconditioning.  HOWEVER, taking a horse that spends most of it's time in a stall with only small runout, is NOT going to have that same basic conditioning.  However, lets face it, one can complete the 25 at walk/trot and so most horses can do a slow one.  Many of us have huge problems just getting the time to condition the horse while working around family resposibilities and working a 'job' that pays for our horse passions.  That is where the 25-30 mile rides are helpful for CONDITIONING AND TRAINING RIDES.   It takes more than just physiologic conditioning.  An 'out of control' horse can be dangerous to everyone and most horses starting out get so excited the adrenaline overtakes the behavior training.   I have not found any substitute for taking the horse on the actual ride.   The horse may be wonderful at home or in the arena with a group lesson but throw in the exictement of "D-Day' of the ride and GEEEEEESSSSSSHHHHHH.  It is not the same one you have been riding for all those training days.

POINT:   It is so variable among all horses that to generalize is only marginally helpful.

KNOW TRAINING FACTS:  If you can do 12 miles in 2 hours of steady riding you can complete a 25miler.   If you can complete 25 miles in 3 hours, you can complete a slow 50.  Going faster requires more.

TRICKS:  Some are using interesting ways to care for the horse-one group was spraying the horse with water mixed with alcohol to cool down faster.  That rider did 50 miles in 3 hours but the temps were not above 80 in TX and that is considered a cool ride.  I did that ride in 7 hours. I had to take a 30 min delay because my horse was full of adrenaline and would not stand for mounting like she did at home.  Rather than put up with it and have someone hold my horse, I choose behavior modification and waited for her to settle down.  (besides I hate eating dirt)

BEGINNERS NEEDS:  Read, Read and then more reading.  YOU are the one ultimately responsbile for your horse's condition and behavior.  Take lessons for better seat.  Don't use green horse unless you like the thrill of rodeo action on a personal level.  Lots more training techniques now that 25 yrs ago. More is known.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK.    EVEN IN TX, you don't have to have much in the way of special 'stuff' to complete a 50.  With commone sense preplanning you don't need a crew.  Rider fatigue is a REAL problem-been there done that.

Good luck and happy trails.