Re: [RC] LD or not - Merryben

In a message dated 11/21/2005 9:28:22 A.M. Central Standard Time, RideKinder@xxxxxxx writes:
I think for someone to say that their horse can start in 50's is beyond me.....
Every horse I have ever owned and all the juniors I trained started in 50's.  Although I did ride Q-Ball on a 25 but that was because my boyfriend wanted to do it and I rode with him.  ..... I know people whose first race was Tevis.  Starting with a 50 in my opinion is better for the horse......We do training rides that are 25 miles.  A 50 miler lets the horse know what his job will be and if properly conditioned, he or she will do fine.  And it is not just Arabs.  My spotted saddle horse started with a 50 (and it was a hard one at that).  He has since done 16 50 milers and come through just fine......My old horse I bought off a rent string did his first ride, Drakes Bay 50, at age 16.......My juniors have been as young as 5 years old and riding a pony................

I have to wonder what it is that you find so hard to believe.....maryben