RE: [RC] 50 or 25? - Jim Holland

Carla, we will expect a FULL report on your experience right here. :)

While we're on this subject, I would like to propose a question, especially
for Ride Managers.  Considering that:

a. Hopefully, you would like your riders to be as comfortable as possible
with the ride, minimize conflict and increase safety.

b. We would like to get more riders to move up from LD or with some NATRC or
other CTR experience to START with 50's.

Why do so many rides start the 25's an hour after the 50's, usually on the
same loop, even if alternatives are available that require no additional
resources?

Let's say a ride starts at 6:00AM for the 50's and 7:00AM for the 25's.
Many, many times I see vets standing around late in the afternoon, bored to
death waiting for a couple of 50 turtles.  However, early in the ride, the
first vet check is swamped. This makes no sense to me. Assuming there are no
logistics issues with away vet checks, why not start the 25's at 10:00AM?
They would have to be done by 4:00PM, which would help spread the rush in
the vet check. The 50 milers who want to start slow wouldn't be subjected to
the 25 hot shoes and their horses will be in the first vet check or have
settled down by then. Perhaps in the SE during the summer, heat might be an
issue for "newbie" horse/riders, but perhaps this might be a good thing,
since it would slow them down and teach them to deal with it before they
move up.  In addition, lots of rides could easily start the 25 milers on an
alternate loop but don't.

I have heard many times that this is a pretty serious concern for "newbie"
50 milers.  What gives here?  I simply don't understand why more rides don't
make a greater effort to prevent this conflict.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive