RE: [RC] 50 or 25? - Jim Holland

Carla, don?t let all this nonsense get to you.? It will eventually get
sorted out.? It seems that on a periodic basis (as with barefoot, etc) this
has to be discussed all over again.? I doubt that anything will change?.to
many diverse opinions.

That said, I start my horses on 50?s?.but I TRAIN them more than most people
to keep them from turning COMPLETELY into a ?creature I don?t recognize? at
their first ride..? In fact, I started Magic in a 50 and intentionally rode
at the back of the pack to allow him to ?experience? the 25 milers blowing
by?just pulled off the trail at a good spot, got off and let him ?watch?. I
also KNOW my horse can do 50 miles before I go?.already done it during
training/conditioning here in the mountains.

I haven?t done a 25 in many years, but I took Sunny to consecutive rides at
Skymont and River Run this month and did 25?s.? Magic needed some time off,
I REALLY wanted to go, and Sunny needed to get out there a little, even if
he is ?pleasingly plump?.? (Otis casually mentioned that he ?hadn?t missed
any meals?) <grin> Skymont is a Boy Scout benefit, great trails, and it was
for a good cause.? River Run is kinda the fall ?social event? around here.?
Sunny was a little confused as to why we were leaving so late?.stood out
there in his paddock and nickered at all the 50 mile horses leaving. Funny!?
Then he was just getting warmed up when we quit.? I was a little at a loss
as to what to do with the rest of the afternoon?felt that I should have been
riding, but we had a lot of time to wander around camp, heckle the 50
milers, and socialize?and I can understand why people prefer that choice.
IMHO, it?s a mindset.

Here are some thoughts.?

If you do a 25, don?t start at the BACK of the pack?.there are REALLY new
riders and out-of-control horses back there and your horse may feed off some
of the excitement, it?s easier to get kicked, and your horse may have to
deal with horses on his butt..REAL close.? Just sorta ?amble in there?
somewhere around the middle after the hot shoes have left and let your horse
just go on down the trail at whatever speed is comfortable with you.

The back of the 50?s will usually be much more ?stable?, but in MOST cases,
you will have to deal with the 25 milers blowing by you a little over an
hour later.? This can be positive or negative, depending on how ?trained?
your horse is to listen to you and deal with the excitement.? In my case, I
knew Magic was going to have to deal with it sooner or later, so I just
?planned? for it to happen.? An alternative is to might call around to a few
rides and find out if there is one where the 25 milers start on a different
loop and go there for your first ride.? Again, this is a personal choice,
depending on your comfort level and your horse?s training level.

If you are comfortable you and your horse can easily do 25 miles, then
where?s the challenge? Go fer the 50!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm