Re: [RC] novice class, LD taken seriously etc. - Sky Ranch

Thank you, Heidi.  Your words on this are the best in this thread, I
believe.

To put in my two cents worth, as someone who has NOT yet competed in LD or
endurance in AERC, (it is my plan to start with at least one LD next year,
then 50's) -- here are my thoughts:

I plan on entering an LD ride first to see how I, and my horse, handle the
speed.  I already know we can do 25 mile distance, because I've done it many
times in NATRC, as well as on my own, but I believe it was at a slower
speed, not as much pressure time-wise.

Second, I could care less about any prizes I get -- they're nice, of course!
But they're NOT why I ride, or compete.  I ride to enjoy new trails, to be
with my horse and other horse enthusiasts, to camp, and to LEARN how to care
for my horse on the trail, keeping his P&R down, for example, and to learn
timing/pacing.

Third, I do understand why a 100 miler would believe he/she deserves a
bigger reward or prize.  Seems to me, this could be very easily solved.
Have separate awards for each division -- instead of having one table of
prizes that everyone picks from.  I guess I can't see the difficulty on that
one at all.

Happy trails to all,
Carla Richardson
AERC M34774