[RC] LDs - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Diane Day fourdays@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When my horse came home to me a few years back I was told he was perfect for
endurance and I needed to get into the sport.  I laughed at the thought since I
was in such bad shape.  But for some illogical reason I chose to go for it, and
it has been a process of learning about what he needed to make it and what I
needed to make it. ( Chiropractic was a big factor- for both of us!)  I have
never known so much about nutrition and health issues for humans(and I am a
health care provider!)nor for horses ( I have had horses for 20 years) as I
have learned from people in this sport. Being involved just at this entry level
has made me so very much more aware of even small nuances in Cadence's
condition that if I never do another ride,I will be thankful for this time.  My
first LD, I competed hard for turtle, but the 2nd one we got 16th and the last
one, 14th.  I did not particularly "train" for these rides because I had done a
lot of riding with my horse - just not at a continued faster pace nor with a
time element.  I relied heavily on the fact that the vets would see what I
might not and would protect my horse. The horse did great - no big deal for
him, but for me it was a very big deal. I rode recently with a woman with
diabetes who has worked hard to manage her disease so as to be able to ride,
and I met a man who not long ago was in a wheelchair.  LDs are not for the
weak, and it is important that people don't make assumptions that 25 miles isnt
a big deal for some.  That said, I will say from my neophyte view, I see the 25
mile ride as a preparation; an introduction for the rider or the horse (or
both).  If I can finish a ride and think - ooh I wish there was more - I have
not really taxed myself - there is more "push" more "stretch" to go - and going
for it, marks the endurance element.  When I think about *endurance ride* I
think: 50/100s.  For these, I think of Mr Ivers' posts about conditioning
because this is where its going to be required if youre going to go for the
sport part - the miles and the speed. Its about focus, training,and being
compulsive - and being willing to think, (being willing to be offended!)  Its
about not doing whatever you otherwise might want to do to ride your horse and
then ride him some more. The fact that this is real training and it is hard to
find the time to do it marks the division between the sport for fun and the
sport for competition.  The one woman who wrote that she can do a 25 mile run
for a fun day out, has a point - most trail riders and trail horses can pull
that off without too many chaffed knees or sore hooves.  But a 50 is different,
and before we do one, both my horse and I will have trained and worked and made
a big effort to be ready for this *sport*.  And when we finish, it will be a
day of celebration as it will have been a real achievement.   At that point I
doubt I will care who else thinks so, but if I were to ever reach the level
that some of these writers have reached, I suspect I might want there to be
some recognition for the work and training that was done.  There +should+ be a
difference between the LDs and the bigger miles - without it, the sport
succumbs to the elementary school soccer game where everyone gets a ribbon,
because "everyone wins."  Which is not true - neither in sport nor in life.
DianeD