Re: [RC] beet pulp warning - Carolyn Burgess

OK Diane, I'll bite since I'm one of the statements listed below, snipped without the entire message, I might add.  I don't think any of them fall into what you call, FBT.   The original poster vet said that the beet pulp caused the problem, then in a follow up email, the poster said her vet had an issue with beet pulp to being with (I'm paraphrasing).  So in a vacuum, without the reasoning behind the vets dislike of beet pulp, that sounds like FBT.  Many of feed beet pulp because it is the best bang for the buck, and in somecase the best bang.  I've owned 2 hard keepers, one extremely hard keeper, one had Cushing's (now deceased), one has Cushing's (maybe a theme?).  The deceased one was the hardest of hard.  Tried everything.  The finest hay (fine stemmed), all timothy, fat supplements, rice bran, grain concoctions, then I was introduced to beet pulp.  She loved it, it put weight on her better than all of the other, but I added it to what she was getting, not instead of, and she looked great.

I know that this is not a scientific study, I've fed beet pulp to the six horses I've owned, all are thriving on it.  Sue Garlinghouse, and other well known and reputable individuals have touted the benefits of it.  And this vet of the posters, we were not presented with anything substantial on why beet pulp is bad.

Carolyn Burgess

Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One of ti's legacys, at least to me, is that I now am sensitized to what he referred
to as fluff bunny thinking. FBT covers a gamut of flawed deductive processes but
what it is NOT is logical, precise, fact-based, open-minded. Often FBT comes from
laziness... it is easier to keep doing what you've always done (and besides, everyone
SAYS it's ok) than to incorporate new knowledge into your methods. Sometimes when
people have their own agendas, they misquote or deliberately misinterpret the
provider of new information or condescendingly dismiss that information - another
form of FBT.

Here are some responses to Patty's very kind post to Ridecamp telling us of a
misfortune that befell her horse. Which are FBT and which are attempts to better
understand the new information?