RE: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.3186 - heidi

Karen wrote:
In a message dated 11/15/2005 5:59:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes: I do think that it is not real fair
that some LD rides have hour holds, and others have a half an hour hold, with
a total of 6 hours allotted. The longer holds do make the riders have to ride
faster to make the time. Especially when you consider that new riders often
spend more than the allotted time at the vet checks until they get more
experienced. Heck, lots of riders of all experience levels are not always
ready when it's their out time.

Kathy wrote:
This is the problem that I see also Karen.  I would like to see a standard
amount of hold time for each distance and then if due to weather conditions
or the terrain if the hold time is extended beyond that time by ride
management or the head vet I think that extra time should be calculated into
the maximum.  It makes no sense to me if it's tough terrain or hot or humid
that you would have a longer hold time and then need to "go faster out on the
trail" to make up the difference.  I don't have all that much expereince yet,
but that's JMO of what I've seen so far in endurance riding.

Rest time is not wasted time.  A rested horse is far more capable of
going out more quickly than one that has not rested enough.

That said, I'm sure there is a point of diminishing return on this--and
I suspect that an hour on a 25-miler approaches this point.  Still,
even with an hour hold on a 25-miler, the horse is only being asked to
travel 5 mph, which is not an odious pace for a horse with any sort of
conditioning, even on difficult terrain or in the heat.  And at that
pace, the horse really should NOT need half an hour in which to recover
at the end--he should be able to reach criteria within a couple of
minutes of arrival.

There has to be a set goal somewhere to attain in order for "completion"
to be the completion of some defined thing.  With no end point, one
could ride a mile a day for 25 days and claim to have ridden an LD....
A completion SHOULD represent an accomplishment!

Heidi