[RC] 25 milers/racing - Ed Kilpatrick

i am still trying to figure out the point the original poster wanted to make here.   you dont have to race to finish a 25 miler in the alloted time. it is pretty easy to finish 25 miles in six hours, even with the hold time.
      lots of people race in 25 milers, but they arent trying to "beat the clock".  they are trying to be the first to finish, or at least in the top ten, and they like running fast through the woods on their horses. that is what racing means.  should they race? it is a relative concept.  if the horse is in good enough condition for it, then let them race.  for those of us who ride 25 milers because we are training a young horse, or introducing a new rider to the sport, we will just mosey along.  we will see you when we get there. those of you who want to fight for that turtle award,  you are welcome to join in the fun.   we have something for everyone.            cowboy ed