[RC] 25 milers/racing - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In thinking back over 20 years, I remember distinctly a problem with new
riders- regardless of distance.

They were overestimating the distances they traveled when training.  Then when
they got to a ride, they had problems meeting the standards of the
time/distance because they thought the speed they were training at was faster,
covering more ground in less time than was reality. Giant OOOOOPS.

Coming from a car racing background, I hired people with mountain bikes who had
odometers to ride with me and measure segments of trail in Chatsworth, so that
when I trained, I knew the distances fairly closely, and I used my digital
watch to make sure of the speed I was traveling.  It sure helped.
When you think you are traveling 12 miles in an hour of training, and you are
only going 8-9 miles, you get your mental picture all balled up, and this
translates to problems when in an actual ride.  This is not to say there
haven't been rides which were marked long, but that is another topic.

I remember one rider who swore that her mare WALKED at 12 mph.  I bit my tongue
to keep from asking her why she didn't just "walk" the entire 50 miles, and her
net running time would be just minutes over 4 hours.  At the time she was
taking 7-8 hours net to do a 50.  As a bookkeeper, I knew her calcs were way
off, but I used this info to place ahead of her many a time.

The long term outcome of this problem for new riders is that they have NOT
built any stamina with their poor calculating of speed/distance/time.  They get
mentally tired way too soon, and it can take them alot of re-assessing before
they get to the bottom of the problem.  I remember how worn out I was at rides
the first year, and it wasn't any fun. Now I have to start all over due to a
bad back injury.  NOt really looking forward to it, either.

Riders have to also realize that LD riders have NOT finished until they meet
criteria.  Don't stop at the "finish line" and chat with the volunteers.  Time
is ticking away really fast...Tick Tock.......Keep moving to the P/R line for
your finish.