[RC] Bob Marshall up date - Nancy

As many of you know my daughter's horse Lyric has a short, round, flat back.
We have had nothing but trouble with saddles.  We have gone through at least
6 different saddles (both endurance and barrel) and continue to experience
fitting issues.  Now some, maybe much of the fitting issues are due to her
young age and changing back.  Some, maybe much of the issues have been
caused by her owners inexperience (yep, that would be me!).  I know from
this and other lists, this is not an isolated issue as many Arabs have the
same saddle fit issues.
Our latest saddle adventure, well misadventure involves a Bob Marshall
treeless saddle.  First I need to say the Bob Marshall saddle is not
defective, it is not poorly made.  No, the saddle is beautiful! BUT THE
SADDLE DOES NOT FIT, THE POMMEL IS TOO NARROW. Due to a NEW manufacturing
process the factory is no longer able to widen the pommel ends.  In plain
terms, the new pommels are plastic and are not amenable to grinding to widen
the ends.  We have compared an older saddle pommel to the new one and to
make matters worse the newer pommels are narrow-er (smaller) too!  So,
needless to say I am a bit frustrated with saddles and this horse!
I will be putting the new Bob Marshall up for sale (14 inch barrel saddle,
chocolate suede, stirrups set back 1 inch) and we are looking for a used
one, if any of you happen to cross train your endurance/CTR horse in
gymkhana (did that make it endurance/CTR related?).  Anyway, just remember
that the Bob Marshall is not a good idea for those of us with really wide
horses, bummer....
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA