[RC] Protecting Saddles-Sandra Walker - Sandra Walker

Like the others have stated, use your DL# and state abbreviation. Law enforcement can’t track you by SS #. I bought ½” tall branding irons from 0 to 9 and the letters T, X, D and L. ?I heat them with a candle and brand my saddles and bridles in a conspicuous area DL12345678TX. I place the brand where it’s not staring at me when I ride but it’s on top and easy to see, like behind the cantle. I brand bridles on top of the crown behind the ears. If you hide the mark it’s easier for crooks to sell and harder for law enforcement (especially non-horsey ones) to find. If I ever sell a saddle and it’s stolen, the law will contact me and I’ll call the new owner. Branding is hard to change without being obviously done and crooks will most likely pass it by. Some may say it looks ugly, but I’d rather be ugly than afoot and out $2,000.

Sandra Walker

www.fieldofdreams-sfw.com