Re: [RC] [RC] Pigs & Endurance - Truman Prevatt

SturmRanch@xxxxxxx wrote:

I crewed for my daughter and some friends at the Dust Devils ride near Milican, Oregon, a couple of weeks ago.
There were "free range" piglets along parts of the trail. Abby reports that they would explode from the brush squealing as they ran. Caused no end of excitement.
Nancy Sturm

One of the funniest things I have seen was a few years back the day before the Goethe ride, Jerry Fruth and I were riding out to get the cobwebs out. We were on this built up road over what is from time to time a swamp. Now Irene is a very calm level headed horse - not much to spook. I asked Jerry if Irene had ever seen pigs in the wild - he hadn't. About then a bunch that must have been huddled up at the base of the road out of our sight - "exploded" out and ran off squealing at the top of their lungs.

Irene who was in front, did a 180 in a bat of an eye and the next thing I know is Irene is look at me eyeball-to-eyeball. He stopped and gave Jerry time to hoist himself off Irene's neck and back into the saddle. If I had been in the front - who knows where Irene would have ended up.

They can be quite exciting. When I first started training I rode a lot at Myakka River State Park. FL is the home of the feral "wide" pig. They would hide in the brush and then when you came by take off. Sometimes they would literally run between the horses legs. I had that happen to me. The mare was quick enough and agile enough to keep from tripping on it. But horses have tripped over pigs as they have run under them.

Truman

--

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."

- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)