Re: [RC] [RC] This is what comes through On Ridecamp DIGEST whenyou don't Trim Your Messages! - Diane Trefethen

I'm no "pc guru" but I think a more important point than whether or not you actually SEE all the code is that each email message arrives at your computer IN THAT FORM.  It is called the SOURCE.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird and to
view an email's Source Code, you can highlight the email in your mailbox and then hit "Ctrl U".  A new window will open and you can see the entire Source Code for that email, including all headers.  In Outlook Express, you highlight the email, right click, click on "Properties", select "Details", click on "Message Source", and then click on the Maximize box in  the upper right-hand corner of the "Maximize" screen.

Another consideration is the encoding you use to send your emails.  I use Western (ISO-8859-1).  Either Chris doesn't OR Ridecamp itself is responsible for re-encoding the emails.  Western (ISO-8859-1) is very efficient at utilizing bandwidth.  [BTW, I am not picking on Chris - it's just that the email was the biggest one I still had on my computer].  The differences, though incomplete, are:

Chris' email of 11-10-2005, as it arrived at my emailbox, is 16KB and the Source Code for the message, without headers,  is about 358 lines.  The same email sent by me directly TO me in Western (ISO-8859-1) is still about 358 lines but only 4kb.  The same email sent in Western (ISO-8859-1) and cut down to Chris' message plus the script for Jim's email containing just the first sentence is 2kb and about 107 lines.  I can't replicate a cut down email using Chris' encoding nor did I want to garbage up Ridecamp with a bunch of test messages.  Nevertheless, you can see that the original email needs about 8X as much bandwidth as the cut down version using Western (ISO-8859-1).  IF Ridecamp itself is responsible for the huge bandwidth overhead, then the full version uses only 2X the bandwidth of the cut down email.  Still, not including all the extra verbiage DOES save about 50% in bandwidth.

Oh... and to make this Endurance related, when you show for BC, wouldn't you rather have used 50% less horse!   :)

PS:  Because I am really sending this email to Ridecamp, I will also send it to myself to see if there is a difference in the amount of bandwidth consumed.

Mary Ann Spencer wrote:

It is related to whether or not your email is using html format.  Perhaps a pc guru can explain it better.  But there are settings in your browser/email to correct it.
    Hmmm. I used to get the digest and all the tags didn't come through
    like
    that. It did get tedious when multiple posts got strung together,
    but not
    with all the code like yours. Does anyone know if there is a
    difference in
    email clients that allows that to be turned off by the recipient?
    Does all
    that garbage show up in the original posts or only the copies?

    Nancy Mitts