Re: [RC] Specialized Saddles - Laney Humphrey

I too have just started riding in a Specialized. I happen to live very near a rep who is very skilled at fitting which helps. But I do know that David wants to make sure everything is right and is very willing to answer questions in case you don't have a skilled fitter in your neighborhood. The saddle, like all new saddles, does take a bit of breaking in. I expect to recheck the fit in 2-3 weeks to make sure everything is still ok.
A word about loin rubbing. It is more obvious when the horse has its heavy winter haircoat and can look really awful in the spring when the hair is dying and getting ready to shed out.
Linda, I would check carefully for bridging. Hopefully your salesperson can experiment with shims to see if the loin rubbing stops. My friends, the reps, also used a file to bevel the edges of the foam panels which would also help lessen loin rubbing.
Theoretically, there shouldn't be a need for a saddle pad that includes foam inserts if the Specialized saddle is fitted correctly. Using one won't hurt but won't add anything either. Since the saddle is so adjustable, I would urge you to work with your salesperson and with David to get the saddle fitted correctly to your horse rather than rely on a pad to correct the fit. Specialized sells pads and is getting ready to offer other types in the next few months. I'm going to experiment with using the supracor pad I already have and also try my Toklat woolback. I'm borrowing a very nice Specialized pad that is wool on the horse side and fabric on top. It's nice but will be hard to keep clean.
Laney

RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx wrote:
Does your horse have a dippy back? Could the saddle be bridging? I got a Specialized and I loved it for myself, but it bridged on my horse, and I wasn't able to fix that. Loin rubbing was the first visible sign of the bridging. Hubby now uses it on his Pasos and loves it.

Dawn in East Texas