Re: [RC] tendonitis in the rider - Dana B.

On Ridecamp Angie wrote:

The coaches keep working her steady and she's in pain. I'm wondering whether to put my foot down and rest her ..... Time off is something that just doesn't happen. By the way, she's suffering from shin splints too.

I'd have to agree with Karen about the rest bit.  Several years ago I got a pretty severe case in winter hauling water buckets, but I didn't rest it and it got really bad to the point that I couldn't even sleep.  Not being one to go to the doctor unless my arm is black and dangling uselessly, I finally did what I usually do and treated myself like I would one of my horses :-p

I keep "frozen towels" (damp dishtowels folded in a plastic baggie and frozen flat - very handy for anything from insect stings to horse-induced-black-eyes) in the freezer.  I started using those along with rest and that helped.  But what really helped was using the TENs unit I had purchased from TI.  I know it says never to use on a person, but my mom has told me for over 40 years that I am more horse than human, so I figured it was OK.  Anyway, that helped (and  continues to help when I feel it coming on again) speed recovery.

Since Josie is interested in pursuits more athletic than carrying water buckets, I'd suggest visiting a good sports medicine doctor and having them apply some of their magic machines.  They understand how athletes use their bodies and have ways of minimizing healing time.  But in the meantime she'd better stop using it or it will just get worse and worse..

As far as the shin splints, go to a shoe store that specializes in ultra--runners.  I finally did that and after years of problems while running, I am running farther than ever without issues.  All shoes are not created equal, and shoes are not created for all feet or athletic uses.  Having the right shoes make a HUGE difference.  When I switched shoes, my shin splints went away while I was running in the good shoes with no down time.

Dana

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx