[RC] USEF Training Session - Steph Teeter

I'm here in Gladstone, New Jersey - at the headquarters of what has been
traditionally know as United States Equestrian Team - USET. Since the merger
with AHSA, the organization- the National Governing Body for Equestrian
sports in the US is now 'USEF' - United States Equestrian Federation. Now
there are offices in Lexington, as well as Gladstone. The USET (I think it
is now referred to as USET Foundation) still exists, but does not have the
political stature that it once had. (long story there, one of power
struggles and legal battles).

But - anyway - I'm here now, in Gladston at the USET/USEF stable and
offices, for one of the 4 training sessions that the USEF is offering to the
National Endurance Team, the original list of Nominees, and others who may
still aspire to competition in Aachen, Germany in August 2006. The World
Equestrian Games are to be held in Aachen, and the World Endurance
Championship will be part of the games.

Soo...

In the history and tradition of USET, the organization which has always
funded and trained US Equestrian athletes for International competition -
the first of the 2005/2006 USEF training sessions is now under way. The next
one will be held in California (Hale Arena - Cottonwood) on December 10. I
was originally going to attend the CA session, but have been called to
Argentina! (more on this later). There will be two more sessions scheduled
for next spring - one on the East coast, one on the West.

I'll have a complete list of attendees tomorrow, along with a bunch of
photos. Most are here with their horses, though a few will be auditing the
session, and maybe borrowing horses for the riding lessons. I didn't bring
my horse, but came with camera and notebook, and will try to capture the
essence of the training session. I didn't make the 40 member Training Squad
(lameness pull at our demo ride) but they're keeping the process, and
ultimate selection somewhat open, so are still welcoming attendance by all
of the original nominees, as well as others who didn't/couldn't nominate in
2005 but may still have a horse that could be considered in 2006.

There will be riding lessons, farrier sessions, nutritional sessions,
analysis of feeding programs, consultations with the 2006 WEC team - Chef
d'Equipe Tom Johnson and assistant chef Anne Stewart. Veterinary inspections
of the horses, including discussions with the riders on their horses'
strengths and weaknesses, short term and long term goals, training
techniques, etc, etc.

Tom gave a short talk this evening, everybody was gathered together for
dinner and intros. He repeatedly stated that the goal of this session, and
all others, was to HELP the riders and horses. Not a time to be critical or
judgemental, but a time to look at the programs, discuss what's working,
what isn't, and be free to ask the experts, and each other, for help and
advice. Tom is a competitive athlete himself, and I think his serious
hard-focused attitude is going to help others stay serious, focused, and
ready to push themselves just a little harder to learn, to excel. I like his
no-nonsense style.

After dinner Kathleen Crandell of KER (Kentucky Equine Research) gave a talk
and slide show on the basics of equine nutrition, while keeping the focus on
the special needs of Endurance horses.

So - tomorrow - I'll take pictures of riding sessions, sit in on farrier and
ration analysis, and try to have stuff posted tomorrow night. Off to be for
now (a 3:30am alarm, 7am flight, dinner with good company and a glass of
wine, and I'm done for now :)

Steph