Re: [RC] [RC] question for legal eagles - Carol Suggs

Nancy:  I was going to get into that but thought I might be taking up too
much space.

A few years ago we had an incident happen here that really opened my eyes.
I very good friend of mine was riding one of my mares and she put her
toddler on the horse with her.  I was a little uncomfortable about it, but
this gal is a heck of a rider and the mare she was riding is well, one of
our best horses.  She was using her own saddle, which I thought nothing of,
it has a big horse hair shoo fly that hangs down from the girth.  Well the
mare was fresh and a little on the muscle and she started dancing around a
little and that shoo fly started tickling her legs and the next thing you
know she is doing a lazy loping crow hop across the field. My friend
couldn't get her gathered up and ended up having to do a tuck and roll and
bailed, craddling the toddler. It knocked the wind out of the kid, nothing
big happened but all I could see was, what if the kid had really gotten
hurt, riding my mare with her mommy...sure they have insurance, but what
happens when that insurance gets exhausted?  Or their insurance could come
after our insurance....then onces thats exhausted they start coming after
our assets.  Of course these are super good friends of ours, they wouldn't
want to sue but they may not have a choice when insurance companies are
involved.

Its a scary thing to think about.

Needless to say, that is when we started getting liability release forms
signed, but you can still get sued and its up to you to defend yourself, and
like we have heard from several other ride campers it costs a lot both
emotionally and financially.

Carol-Mariposa, CA