[RC] trail work day in St Louis Nov 12th - Jackie Caudill

I was one of the fortunate attendees at the most recent Trails class and learned the value of meeting other trail users in a social setting. Please note this particular sentence:<<To date, we have not had many equestrian users participate in trail building. >>
If anyone is able to go to this(I realize it is short notice) the opportunity is worth even more than rerouting trail-you will be able to develop cordial relationships with other trail users and make it more likely that horses won't be excluded from some possible multi-use trails.
The work itself is fun, not too physically demanding & you will have a great sense of accomplishment immediately afterwards and then again every time you ride the section you worked on!
Jackie

Subject: Nov 12th trail workday at Greensfelder (St. Louis County) - please
forward to other interested parties

Dear Fellow Trail User, My name is Matt Hayes and I'm a member of the Gateway
Off-Road Cyclists (GORC) in St. Louis, Missouri. We are currently working
with the St. Louis County Parks to reroute and greatly improve the Dogwood trail
at Greensfelder County Park located behind Six Flags in western St. Louis
County. This project began last fall with the creation of a new trail that loops
behind the Muckerman and Dogwood shelters. If you have ridden it then you have
witnessed the handiwork of GORC. This fall we are finishing what we began
last year. The reason St. Louis County Parks has given us permission to alter
the
Dogwood trail is to reroute heavily eroded trail sections that were
unsustainable because of water and repeated use. The new reroute will improve
the flow
and length of the trail. The Dogwood trail will remain multi-use for bikers,
equestrians and hikers. Even better, the trail will now be resistant to erosion
and heavy use - it will be sustainable. However, no trail can withstand the
abuse of riding it when the trail surface conditions are wet and muddy. At our
last work day, Saturday October 29th, attendance was at an all-time high with
59 volunteers, thanks in part to St. Louis County's volunteer pool. Many were
high school students and this was the first time they had ever built trail. We
are currently seeking out equestrian and hiking organizations and their
respective members who are interested in creating and maintaining multi-use
trails.
To date, we have not had many equestrian users participate in trail building.
It is my personal goal to reach out to your organization with the hope that
you will join St. Louis County Parks and the Gateway Off-Road Cyclists in the
building of this great new trail at Greensfelder County Park and on future
trail construction projects. A large portion of the new Dogwood reroute still
needs to be built and we are looking for additional support to ensure that the
trail is completed at our next - and last - fall work day, Saturday, November
12th at Greensfelder County Park. St. Louis County Parks has graciously reserved
the Dogwood shelter for the event. The shelter can be found on Hencken Road
(down from the Muckerman Shelter on Six Flags/Allenton Road). Our workdays start
at 8:30am and last until about 1pm. Lunch and work tools are provided. You
need not have ever built singletrack trail before. A trail workday typically
consists of a brief safety talk about trail tools and their uses, establishing
work groups and building trail and having lunch! We are always meeting new
people and it is a fun and rewarding time. It is also a great way to increase
your
organization's volunteer hours! GORC has built many trails in the St. Louis
area but has not promoted itself very well in the past. I'm looking to change
that because I feel that forming like-minded alliances will foster additional
trail building and maintenance opportunities. You can find out more about GORC
at <A HREF="http://www.gorctrails.com/";>www.gorctrails.com</A> or St. Louis
County Parks at <A HREF="http://www.stlouisco.com/parks";>
http://www.stlouisco.com/parks</A> . Additional information about the
Greensfelder workday event can be
found at <A
HREF="http://www.stlouisco.com/parks/volunteer/trail-crew-1.html";>http://www.stlouisco.com/parks/volunteer/trail-crew-1.html</A>
I look
forward to hearing from you in the near future to discuss trail building
opportunities. I would appreciate any assistance in the distribution of this
letter to
your members or other interested parties. Thank you for your time, Matt
HayesGateway Off-Road Cyclists<A
HREF="http://www.gorctrails.com/";>www.gorctrails.com</A>