[RC] Ideas on hoof lameness in old horse - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Skyla temposmom@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My 24 year old gelding is very lame in a hoof and I would like some
additional ideas on the symtoms. He was sore last Saturday when
I asked him for a trot, fine at the walk. He was more tender on
the gravel, and I did get off and hand walk him home. I figured
with the rain, and he lives on a river rock hillside, he probably
had a stone bruise. I have only been seeing him in the mud and
didn't notice any worsening of his gait. Today I took him out to
give him a good look now that we have some dry ground. He has
become much worse. Had the farrier come out, certified journeyman, used the
hoof testers and could find nothing. There
is heat in the foot, not a noticeable difference in the digital
pulse, and he is worse on harder, lumpy, or down hill. He is not
leaning back on his heels. We could find nothing to tell us
"what" is wrong, and it is very apparent it is in the foot. The shoer put shoes
on, backed them up more, really beveled out the
underside, but it made very little change. I gave 1.5 gs bute,
and four hours later he seems to be more comfortable. I would
like any ideas as to what might be going on, that doesn't test
yet IS in the hoof? Could a deep abcess act this way? If I don't
like what I am seeing come Friday, we will be off to the vet.
For right now I am very puzzled as to what may be going on. He does not show
any founder stance, yet I don't know if they
could founder and not be "toe" sore? When picking up the
other foot, after setting it down, he will raise the sore foot up
on to the toe and rest it for a couple seconds. This horse does
not have a scratch, swelling, tenderness to palpation, anywhere.
Just some heat in the foot, seems more at the heel area. No thrush,
bruises, signs of "entry" for a punture. It is very frustrating
not having a obvious spot to start at. Only things I come up with
are founder or abcess, since he did get worse not better...but??

Thank you for any direction on what could be going on. I am not
asking for a diagnosis, just some thoughts that may help me
understand the potential issues.

Skyla and Habod (disclaimer: my mom does not neglect me, abuse
me, nor is she cruel or unkind in anyway-so please don't flame her)
an uncaring)