[RC] Boots and vetting in - long - Toni Jones

Hi,

I have a question for those who are using the Epics and doing endurance rides with them.

First, my summer ride history. My horse and I did 6 rides this year, 2 LD's which were done barefoot, and 4 50's which were done in various combinations of barefoot and with Epics. My experience with the Epics were some bad rubs, not in the gaitor area but down lower at the heel bulbs and coronet band. We used vet wrap (1 roll per leg per Karen C.'s directions, but it was still not good). We cut heel straps out and tried various combinations of less vet wrap/more vet wrap/no vet wrap and I was only pleased the time we used no vet wrap. Obviously we have more issues to work through on this and the promise of new gaiters is nice... but that's not the reason for this post.

I ran into all sorts of rules at the rides I did this summer where the boots were concerned and am wondering if there is some way to acquire consistency on vetting and completion checks where the boots are concerned. At one ride I presented at vet in on nice soft sand where they said that hoof protection was mandatory and was getting all "A"s until they saw no metal shoes and I was told I had to present with boots. Ok... I had the boots. So I put them on and was then vetted in and okayed to start. At the completion of the ride I was told to untack but leave the boots on as I had presented with them on and they wanted to see him at completion with them on. OK.

Another ride we were allowed to present barefoot at vet in, but were told we had to have the boots on at completion check, even though we had already completed so back to the trailer to put on boots. OK.

At another ride I thought I had this figured out so I asked the volunteers/ride manager at registration whether I was to present my horse at vet in with or without his boots. Silence. I was snippily told that there was no way I could do this ride barefoot. I said that was good to know, I had the boots at the ready, I simply needed to know if I was to present with them or not. Someone went to ask the vet, who said yes. As we left a lot of conversation erupted about "these people who think they can ride barefoot" etc., and my newbie friend doing her first 50 was just astounded. She had wondered what I meant at earlier conversations about how some folks feel about barefoot and/or boots. Couldn't believe the tide I was bucking. At this ride I, of course, presented in the boots, but at completion they wanted to see him without the boots. Ok.

At the only other ride we did the vet knows me fairly well and he was fine with vetting and completing check without the boots. He knows I will use the boots if they are needed and I will pull the horse first if there is a problem.

I know from reading ridecamp there are more barefoot/boot wearers out there than there was a couple years ago. We can thank the Epics for that, I'm sure. Do any other people using any boots in endurance see any sort of pattern emerging in how barefoot/booted horses should be presented? What are your experiences?

I want to say that all vets all year were just great. They were justifiably concerned about what I was doing, especially at the rockier rides, but they were all supportive and helpful in their ideas for us. All the rides we did were run very well and I have no complaints on any of those things. I'm use to the finger pointing/holier than thou reactions when I show up with my barefoot horse/boots. I think part of it is that I haven't been to many rides in recent years and so most don't know me and think I'm a real newbie. I don't have thousands of miles (just a few hundred in endurance), and I'm usually in contention for the turtle awards.

But I'm hoping there will be some kind of consistency in presenting with/without boots, whatever, at vet in/completion check at future rides. I realize this may take time... but perhaps telling our experiences will help.

thanks,

Toni Jones
Central Oregon