Re: [RC] question for legal eagles - Carol Suggs

Chris: Don't know what your legal parameters are in your state for liability responsibility.  If you have access to legal advice in your state I would get them to create something that is appropriate for your area and what you plan to.

What we do is that everyone that comes on the ranch to ride (or work the brandings) signs a general liability release that covers horse and cattle activities.  It also covers wildlife and that sort of stuff, falling rocks, rattlesnakes you name it.  Here in California even if you have one of these things signed it won't prevent you from being sued, but at least it puts everyone on notice.

We also have an internal rule here at the ranch.  Those that ride here have to be either with myself or my husband, no exceptions.

Last year I had a girlfriend of mine come out here (she is a trainer) with two of her clients and they didn't check in at the house.  They saddled up and rode out to our large arena (which you can't see from my  house) and they were out there for an hour before I realized it.  I saddled up and hot footed it out there with my liability releases and let her know that was TOTALLY not acceptable.

She told me, oh these folks are really nice and they won't sue you.  Yeah that is what everyone says until they get hurt, have exhausted all their own medical insurance then come after you because they have no where else to turn.  Sorry, not taking the chance of losing our family ranch over someone telling me that another person is nice and won't sue.  Some say I am a pessimist, sorry I am a realist!

We have been asked to hold competitive rides here, and so far I have not gotten the rest of the family to agree.  Maybe they will someday, but with this being such a sue happy society, I doubt that we will open ourselves up to the risk.

Also, I was watching Clinton Anderson a few weeks ago on RFD TV and he was doing a clinic.  In the middle of his talk he stopped the horse he was riding and got off on the subject of liability and responsibility.  It was a wonderful soap box talk about how we need to take responsibility for our own actions as riders and quit blaming other folks for our mistakes and accidents with horses and not be so ready to sue everyone.  He said that the horse he was riding belonged to someone else and he made the personal decision to ride the horse.  If he gets bucked off and kicked in the head he would not sue the owner, he would not sue the facility, it was his responsibility to take that chance by getting on the horse.

Anyway it was a good talk and I wish more clinicians would discuss that subject!

Carol-Mariposa, CA