[RC] Osceola - my first AERC ride and everybody was nice! - Christina Schiro

I finally did my first AERC ride - a 25 miler at the Osceola Endurance ride in Lake City, FL on November 5th.  I had so much fun, both out on the trail and in camp. And everybody was so nice and helpful, and made a point of helping me out since it was my first ride. Although it was a small crowd (30 something 25-milers and about 15 or so 50-milers) I didn't come across any '"rude riders" and I got passed a lot by 50 milers since we were all using the same trails. I got a very good feeling about it all and can't wait to do another one. Actually the only time I kinda felt a little conscious about my "performance" was a comment, NOT from a rider or volunteer, but from the head vet, Dr. Michael Porter. I was second to last to come in and my ride time was 5 hrs, 32 mins, and when I did the final vet-in, Dr. Porter said "what took you so long?"  He was joking, but still...  By the way, my horse got all A's except for one B+ at the end. I hand-walked my horse 3/4 mile into camp after both loops (I was the only one I saw who did this, of course, I didn't see EVERYBODY as they came in in front of me) with his girth loose and he pulsed in right away. He was very strong on the first 15 mile loop (did it in 2 hrs, 10 mins), but was really tired (kept wanting to walk when I asked him to trot) the last 10-mile loop, so we walked for 7 miles. After seven miles, I tried trotting again, and I had to hold him back (I think he could tell we were getting close to camp!) Anyway, overall it was a very positive experience.

Christina Schiro and Ibn Ionah ("Ice")