Re: Fw: [RC] Woman hurt at Loomis Basin Arena? Perhaps First Aid Training should be added to our horse training? - Barbara McCrary

That's what we were taught.....the ABCs.  We also learned that tourniquets are a no-no.  We actually have had quite a bit of training, reviewed and reviewed over the years.  It just seems like we can't apply the simple things.  If we had a major injury, we apparently care allowed to deal with that, but no Band-Aids, no anti-itch cream, etc.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:14 PM
Subject: RE: Fw: [RC] Woman hurt at Loomis Basin Arena? Perhaps First Aid Training should be added to our horse training?

Yes?.carry a roll of vet wrap or elastic bandage and some dressing material?.a bandana will work.  If that doesn?t work, you will need to apply pressure to the appropriate artery.  Just don?t use a tourniquet?.that?s a LAST resort. Just remember ABC?.Airway, Breathing, Circulation.  If you don?t have that, nothing else matters.

Here?s a quick reference page for pressure points:

http://www.tpub.com/content/combat/14234/css/14234_250.htm

WWW.emtb.com you might find interesting.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic