Re: [RC] more horseback "ettiquette" - Maryanne Gabbani

Since I do most of my riding on trails that run along the irrigation canals and through villages in rural Egypt, I've trained my horses to slow down when there are animals tethered beside the trail, when there is a donkey or donkey cart ahead or when they see children playing up ahead. They automatically downshift to a trot when they come within about 20 metres of these obstacles. Some days we are really lucky and can have a good canter for a mile or so, but most of the time we practice a LOT of transitions. When I take clients out and they don't know the rules of the road, I really need horses that do. If I don't remember to tell the clients that there will be automatic transitions for traffic, it comes as a bit of a shock to them.

Most of my neighbours are very happy to see me out riding and they don't worry about their livestock or children.

Maryanne