Re: [RC] Prinewille Crooked River Grasslands - Karla Watson

Its a very nice ride. Well put on. This ride has been going on for several decades and was the first in the NW I believe. It is basically one 25 mile loop with one outcheck. The 50 milers do the loop 2xs, the 75 milers do the loop 2xs and one extra loop or two out from the outcheck. It starts with narrow trail that slowly winds up this big hill. Great for hot horses to take the steam out of them. The views are really nice. The footing is great. Basic high desert footing. Nothing too deep or too rocky. Then you go down the other side of the big hill and wind around the foothills into the outcheck. Then after the outcheck, you have lots of big, open flat desert riding. Towards the end of the 25 mile loop you have some foothills and a climb or two back to camp. And you CANNOT get lost. There are mile markers throughout the whole 25 mile loop. Not a really hard ride but certainly not an easy ride. Usually the ground is very dry and the nights can be very cold. Its one of the NW's favorite rides for many people. They give really nice completion awards and fix a homemade breakfast on Sunday morning for the riders that just hits the spot after riding the previous day. Well run, really well attended ride. I usually go every year.
---------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon

But I am wondering if people here have been to the Prineville ride and can tell me what it is like...how is the terrain...stuff like that. We have only been to two rides, Sunriver and Oregon Dunes.
thanks