RE: [RC] hosing injuries - Ann Blankenship

It’s always worked for me too.  I don’t spray the injury hard, just squirt it gently for a long time (until get bored)  I think the scrubbing with a soft, sterile brush helps too.  You have to keep the scabs off so it doesn’t get yellow and icky underneath.  It’s not a very pleasant job but it does work, especially in hard to heal places like the back of pasterns.

Ann

From: Sky Ranch [mailto:skyranch@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 3:53 PM
To: Ann Blankenship
Subject: Re: [RC] hosing injuries

I agree 100% that hosing helps.  I never saw the article you were talking about, though.

Apparently, hosing with pressure, and cold water, is "out of style," but a vet told me to do this to a young foal way back in the early 80's.  She had gotten into the fence and cut her hind leg.  I hosed it every day, and then would wrap it just using vet wrap (to help keep flies off).  It healed beautifully, no scar, no problems.  It also made her very used to being handled, without pain, by haltering her and turning the blast of water on her every day.  She ended up being very gentle because of the water treatment.

Nowadays, though, veterinarians say, no, hosing doesn't help.  Well, I disagree.  Not only does it keep it clean (and that's a big deal!), but it stimulates blood circulation to the area - keeping infection and swelling down!

Carla Richardson