Re: [RC] Hyponatremia - Maryanne Gabbani

At the very first FEI 120 km race in Egypt a Jordanian horse was pulled and taken to the clinic tent where they put it on IV fluids. The horse was sent back to its box and the rider told the groom to continue with the fluids. Since the visiting sponsors/winners had all come in long before any of the locals and some other visiting riders who finally finished the race, and they (the UAE) wanted to go home, the clinic tent and all the other facilities were broken down and removed before nightfall, leaving any horses being treated without supervision. The Jordanian rider left as well to go to his hotel and the groom continued to give the horse fluids IV.??

When the horse began acting strangely the groom sought help, which he found in the persons of some of our local riders who live in the area. Brooke Hospital was called, they sent a truck, and the horse collapsed and died on the way to the hospital. Autopsy showed that the horse had been given too much fluids.

?The fault in this case lay with the rider who didn't bother to stay with his horse and to a certain extent with the organisers of the the event (Dubai) who removed the few remaining members of the staff about an hour or so after the final riders came in. At that time, no one in Egypt had any experience with endurance. There had been a 20 km ride in March, a 50 km in April, and this was May. No time for a learning curve.?

I've never heard of a horse voluntarily drinking too much, but it is definitely possible for one to be given too much even IV.

Maryanne
Cairo