Re: [RC] [RC] Hyponatremia - Sisu West Ranch

At the risk of being seen as having a closed mind, I wonder if there is a practical message for endurance riders in these papers.

1. Human runers that get over hydrated, probably drink much more than their thirst would lead them to drink. We have been bombarded with advice to drink sooner and more than thirst indicates. My horses do not seem to listen to advice as to how much or how frequently they should drink. Have any treatment vets seen horses with hypobnatremia at rides?
2. The use of an NG tube is not allowed during an Endurance ride.
3. The supplimentation of electrolytes during a ride is SOP. The proper amounts are the key.
4. If a horse will drink salty water, that would probably work fine, but the problem is how to supply the treated water. Most of us do not have a crew that can bring water out to us between vet stops. Many riders do not even have a crew at vet stops. This means that the horse will be drinking ordinary water from stock tanks, streams, lakes or puddles. A syringe or two of 'lytes at appropriate intervals seems much more practical.
5. What I really would like is a machine that can noninvasively monitor various blood parameters during a ride. I suspect I will see same available before I am stopped from endurance riding.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875