Re: [RC] Hyponatremia - Tivers

In a message dated 11/3/2005 12:26:38 PM Pacific Standard Time, carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So how common is this that runners overhydrate, and do we really need to be concerned about this with our equine friends?  Since a runner has a brain and is an independent thinker, and has had it drummed into them that they need to drink, I can see this happening with a human who drinks for the sake of drinking, not in response to a thirst mechanism.  So if a horse doesn't think about drinking, other than in response to a thirst mechanism, can horses really be overhydrated?

Carolyn Burgess

Good point, and true. But then, I've seen lots of efforts being made to get water into a horse at rides--bran and beet pulp mashes and tons of elytes to make the horse thirsty. These MDs said that water intake should be no more that 8 oz/20 minutes during a continuous-run marathon. That may, or may not, translate to 32 oz/20 minutes for a horse. They did say that bigger athletes can ingest more than smaller athletes. It's all a matter of diluting the blood. The more blood volume, the more difficult that would be.

It sounded like they were talking more about hyperhydration than hyponatremia--but I guess that boils down the the same thing at the end of the day.

ti