Re: [RC] Help ! From other farriers and/or vets - Mary Ann Spencer

I suppose it could be an injury and maybe that x-rays will show something.  So, the vet is most likely in the future for her.  But, I did think I would see if anyone here had any ideas....that I haven't thought of.  Again, if I pull the shoes and turn her out for...a month or more...she will come back sound.  Shoe her...ride her one time...lame again.

Maybe she is equating shoes with lameness.  I have heard of horses being 'mentally' lame but not physically lame.  But I wonder why you don't just let her go barefoot for a few weeks???  Sensitivity can be so subjective.  But then, I don't use shoes.  Maybe later if I ever get the time to do a LOT more riding.  It takes a LONG time to get the hoof wall grown out.  Some horses don't take to a bit well and so are ridden with hackamore of some sort or a halter, etc.  Seems to me the horse is trying to tell you something but not able to communicate it very well.  Good luck.