[RC] Suggested Ivers' reading! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Dennis Farnham dfarnham09@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Karla,

Here are some things that I studied when I became interested in Tom's theories.
First, do a google search on Tom Ivers. You will find some very interesting
articles that he has written along the way on his journey of studying
horsemanship. Next I would buy and study the Fit Racehorse II. After reading
the Fit Racehorse II a couple of times, I bought "Distance Running" by Robert
M. Lyden from Tom on his recommendation...and an excellent recommendation it
was. If you really want to become toatally obsessive about this whole
adventure, find out how to get access to the Horsescience archives from Tom and
peruse this wealth of knowledge contained therein. (Wow, do I miss
Horsescience!) Many would insist that this exercise would be equivalent to
sorting fly manure out of pepper, but for one who is obsessive by nature
(myself and my wife), this is very interesting. Tom's ebook on carboloading is
priceless. Eleanor Kellon's article on electrolyting is the best that I have
ever read. Oh well, you could stay every busy for the next year or two, but if
you want to "dip" your toe in the water before divin in, get the "Fit Racehorse
II". I'm sure that you will find it very challenging and will find some
invaluable conditioning/training principles to incorporate into your program.
Hope these suggestions help and do not overwhelm. As I said earlier, I'm
obsessive by nature.

Enjoy the ride,

Dennis

P.S.
Tom,

Thanks for sharing the extract on heart size impacting performance. I think we
are fortunate enough to have wound up with two double copy, X factor mares
(Gallant Rose and her half sister) in our barn. The only reason I say that is
because their pulse-downs have been phenomenal even before they became fit. I
just finished reading Marianna Haun's book, "The X factor", and now I
understand why.   Sources of the X factor are in the right spots in their
pedigrees.