[RC] Changing minds - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[RC] changing our minds - larry Miller

Bruce, I love it!!!  Jeanie >

See Bruce? The smart ones get it.

While this article is mainly directed at medical professionals and can be
extrapolated as a perfect fit for academic ingighting as well, many of its
component parts are readily observable here on RC. Those who have stopped
thinking are very sensitive about being caught not thinking--even though with
every utterance the evidence becomes increasingly transparent. They embarrass
themselves.

Still, it's always good to enumerate the tactics used for the few of those who
currently blindly follow can perhaps see the problem with that approach and,
instead, subject themselves to the temporary pain of thinking, and
investigating, for themselves.

Actually, once you start regularly exercising your brain, the pain goes away
and, as you learn, the process can even become joyful. Certainly satisfying.
Those who can't think, or can't allow themselves to think, are stuck in a dark,
miserable tunnel. So, they lash out at those who are trying to think, trying to
sort through some complex puzzles. And most of this lashing out, even in
academic circles, boils down to name calling and plain nastiness.

I, personally, tend to respond in kind to these attacks--primarily because I
don't have to associate with these people on a regular basis--they cannot
control any aspect of my environment. And I like to defend the thinkers from
the non-thinkers--a part of the overall job I've created for myself.

But for those of you who do have to interact with these folks, I'd suggest a
relatively low profile--just pursue the truth, implement your knowledge, and
just roll over them in competition.

ti